A recent report by the grocery e-commerce company Instacart predicts 2018 will be the year of the rutabaga. And with the powerhouse vegetable expected to dominate your plate, TheCulinary Cure’s Kristen Coffield dished several rutabaga recipes.
Asian-Inspired Rutabaga & Carrot Salad Recipe
- Serves 4 as a first course
- 1 small rutabaga
- 3 carrots
- 4 scallions trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp creamy Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp unsweetened rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Trim and peel rutabaga. Cut in half and, with flat side down, cut each half vertically into 4 sections. With a vegetable peeler, make peels from each of the 8 sections of rutabaga and place in a bowl.
- Using either a sharp knife or julienne peeler, julienne the carrots.
- Place shaved rutabaga, carrots, scallions, cilantro and red onion in a bowl.
- Combine rice vinegar, lime juice, mustard and olive oil, mixing well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss all vegetables together with dressing. Arrange on plates to serve. Arrange on plates and serve.
Creamy Rutabaga and Parsnip Soup Recipe
- Makes 10 Servings
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 lb rutabaga peeled and cubed
- 1 lb parsnips peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme, savor or marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts chicken stock ( or stock of choice )
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- Heat olive oil in stock pot. Add chopped onion, carrot and celery, stir over medium heat 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue stirring 1 minute. Pour 2 quarts stock into pot, add rutabaga, parsnips, bay leaves, herbs, salt and pepper and bring mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are cooked soft.
- Remove soup from heat and let cool. When soup is warm,not hot, remove bay leaves and puree in batches in a food processor or blender. Alternatively you can use an emersion blender and puree the soup in the pot. Soup can be thinned with additional broth or water if too thick.
- Before serving stir in the juice from 1 lemon and adjust seasonings to taste.
Everything Rutabaga Fries Recipe
- Serves 4
- 1 large rutabaga or 2 small
- 1 tbsp Everything But The Bagel seasoning or other seasoned salt
- 4-5 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel rutabaga with vegetable peeler and slice in half. With flat side down, slice rutabaga into sections and then slice sections into desired french fry sticks.
- In a bowl, toss rutabaga sticks with olive oil and coat well. Sprinkle seasoning over rutabaga and make sure to distribute well.
- Place rutabaga sticks on a large heavy bottomed baking sheet on lowest oven rack.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes turning half way through. Rutabagas should be browned and
- have crisp edges.
- 4. Enjoy as a healthy side vegetable.
- Rutabaga Baked Ziti Recipe
Rutabaga Baked Ziti Recipe
- Serves 4
- 1 medium rutabaga peeled and cut into 2” ziti size sticks
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 24 oz jar favorite marinara sauce, I love Rao’s
- 1 5oz bag baby power greens, spinach or kale
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms-optional
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 3/4 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Oil a medium size baking dish.
- Peel and slice rutabaga into 2”ziti size pieces. Place in saute pan with 1” water and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Alternatively, in batches, place rutabaga in Leuke steamer and cook in microwave on high heat 2-3 minutes or until softened. In saute pan or bowl combine the rutabaga with 12 oz of the marinara sauce.
- Saute or Leuke steam the greens in batches until wilted. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and mix with 1/2 cup ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Combine with wilted greens and mushrooms (optional).
- Loosely mix the rutabaga marinara combination with the cheese and greens mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 plus minutes, until bubbly and slightly browned.
Rutabaga Spice Cake Recipe
- Serves 8
- 1 cup raw rutabaga peeled, coarsely grated
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt or nut milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter 9” loaf pan
- Beat eggs, sugar, yogurt, butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in grated rutabaga.
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt, mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into rutabaga egg mixture and combine until smooth.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean and top of cake springs back to the touch.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine well and drizzle over cooled cakes.