Trump says he canceled trip to London

President TrumpDonald John TrumpHouse Democrat slams Donald Trump Jr. for ‘serious case of amnesia’ after testimonySkier Lindsey Vonn: I don’t want to represent Trump at OlympicsPoll: 4 in 10 Republicans think senior Trump advisers had improper dealings with RussiaMORE said late Thursday that he canceled a trip to London to open the new U.S. embassy there, citing an Obama-era decision regarding real estate for the facility.

Trump wrote on Twitter that he “canceled” his trip because he is “not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars.”

“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!” Trump wrote.

Trump weighed in after multiple media outlets in the United Kingdom reported that he was leaning against a trip to open the new U.S. facility in Nine Elms, south-west London.

ADVERTISEMENT

The U.S. announced in 2008 that it signed an agreement with a real estate developer to purchase the property. Developers broke ground on the site in 2013.

The Guardian reported Thursday citing government sources that Washington had signaled that Secretary of State Rex TillersonRex Wayne TillersonOvernight Defense: Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel’s capital | Mattis, Tillerson reportedly opposed move | Pentagon admits 2,000 US troops are in Syria | Trump calls on Saudis to ‘immediately’ lift Yemen blockadeTrump has yet to name ambassadors to key nations in MideastMattis, Tillerson warned Trump of security concerns in Israel embassy moveMORE would open the embassy instead of Trump next month.

The story said that Trump “backed off” the idea of visiting the U.K. amid fears of protests. The newspaper reported that no date for a state visit for Trump had been set.

Relations between the U.S. and Britain have been strained in recent months, with British Prime Minister Theresa May criticizing controversial tweets that Trump shared in late November.

May’s office said at the time that it was “wrong” for Trump to share videos purporting to show violent acts by Muslims that were first tweeted by the leader of the ultranationalist political party Britain First.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *